WHITBY: Whitby-Flowergate Congregational Church History up to 1868.
An old Presbyterian congregation has existed in Whitby since the year 1695. It at first worshipped in a private house in Bridge Street, Rev. -- BROOKES (ob. 1699) being their minister. He was succeeded by Rev. -- WORTHINGTON, who removed to Durham 1702, then by Rev. -- DUCKINFIELD, who conformed, and Rev. -- THOMPSON, who left for Nottingham, 1715, when the place of worship was removed to Staithside.
In 1715, Rev. J. REDDID (Jollie's Acy.), accepted the pastorate, during which Mr. Leonard Wilde, a sail-maker, bought a plot of ground in Flowergate, where a chapel was erected and liberally endowed by Mr. W. Mr. Reddid received the Hewley Fund, which after his death in 1729 was continued to his widow. Mr. Reddid was probably an Arian.
The chapel must henceforth be regarded as Unitarian.
- 1729. Rev. ISAAC BARKER. Ob. 1756.
- 1756. Rev. WM. LEE. Removed to Sunderland in 1764.
- 1764. Rev. W. WOOD, M.D. Ob. 1769.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.