WHITBY: Whitby-Silver Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.
WHITBY-SILVER STREET. *
This congregation originated in a division of the Methodist body in Church Street, in the year 1770. The Rev. James Brownfield, one of Mr. Wesley's followers, seeing reason to doubt the Scripturalness of some of the doctrines he had been accustomed to preach, withdrew from his former connexion, and erected a meeting-house, which at first called itself Presbyterian, but gradually merged into Independency. Mr. Brownfield died at Whitby, 1803.
In 1803, Rev. J. ARUNDEL became the pastor. Under his ministry the congregation increased greatly, and in 1805 a new chapel was erected in Silver Street. Rev. J. Arundel removed to London 1818.
Mr. Arundel was a Rotherham student. After fifteen years, successful labour at Whitby he accepted the office of Home Secretary to the London Missionary Society He also became pastor, after three years, to Union Chapel, Borough.
- 1819. Rev. W. BLACKBURN, minister, ordained 1821. Mr. Blackburn removed to Bamford at the close of 1837. After some years he accepted the office of Superintendent of the Manchester City Mission. In this office he remained many years, discharging its duties very efficiently, until compelled by paralysis to retire. He died at Southport, 1862.
- 1838. Rev. JOHN CASS POTTER, minister. He began his ministry at Whitby on the first Sunday in Jan., 1838, and after increasing comfort and success year by year, was compelled, by disease of the heart rendering public speaking physically impracticable as well as extremely dangerous, to resign his charge, Feb., 1865.
- He still survives, the valued secretary of the North Riding Association.
- 1866. Rev. WM. JACKSON (Rotherham Coll.).
- Mr. Jackson is (1868) the present pastor.
*By aid of Rev. J. C. Potter.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.