Whitwell On The Hill Parish information from Bulmers' 1890.
WHITWELL ON THE HILL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Sheriff Hutton - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division, and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Whitwell, sometimes distinguished as Whitwell-on-the-Hill, was formerly a township under Crambe, but was constituted a distinct parish after the erection of the church, in 1860. It derives its name from the spring of clear, sparkling water, which still flows in the park. The parochial boundaries are conterminous with those of the township, and inclose an area of 1,507 acres, containing 203 inhabitants. The York and Scarborough railway passes through the parish and near the village, where there is a station. Rateable value, £2,678.
Whitwell estate was purchased from the Graham family in 1830, for 95,000 guineas, by Joseph Haigh, Esq., who built the hall shortly after, at a cost of £30,000. Louisa Rosamond, the surviving child and heiress of this gentleman, married Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart., whose ancestors were settled in Worcestershire, soon after the Conquest.
The village stands on the York and Malton road, about six miles S.W. of the latter town. The church (St. John the Evangelist) is a building of Whitby stone, erected in 1860, at the sole expense of Lady Lechmere. The design is Gothic, and includes nave, chancel, vestry, and tower, surmounted by a spire. In the tower are six sweet-toned bells. The floor and the lower part of the walls up to the string course are laid with encaustic tiles of a very neat pattern. The interior is finished in very elegant style, and fitted with open benches of oak. The west window is large and handsome, bearing in its four lights the figures of the four Evangelists. Above this is a large circular one filled with geometrical tracery. The chancel is also lighted by stained glass windows. The reredos and pulpit are of white stone, beautifully carved and ornamented with coloured marbles. The large and trimly-kept burial ground is entered by an oaken lych gate, with red tiled roof. The living is a vicarage, worth £184, in the gift of Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart., and held by the Rev. A. L. Pitman, M.A.
A mixed National school was erected in 1874, for 65 children; present average attendance, 45.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.