Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FACEBY.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY MAGDALENE.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 1,370 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 143 ; Church-room, 100; Net value, £52.

Robert de Scutterskelf gave two oxgangs of land in Faceby to the Priory of Rievaulx.

This town is sometimes stated to have been in the parish of Hutton Rudby, and by Ecton said to be in the parish of Carleton ; but Mr. Graves, in his History of Cleveland, is of opinion that it was a Donative, and therefore exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction, until augmented by Queen Anne's Bounty ; and this opinion is supported by the Act for inclosing the township. The greater part of Faceby is in the parish of Whorlton, and the Charity Commissioners class it so in their Report.

The patronage was in the Prissicks ; in 1792, George Sutton, Esq., nominated, now in G. W. Sutton, Esq., who is also impropriator.

Valued in 1707 at £19. 5s.; and in 1818, at £36. 16s. per annum.

Augmented in 1792, with £200; in 1817, with £200, from the Parliamentary grant. In 1828, with £200; and in 1829, with £200, -all by lot.

Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Curates.

An Inclosure Act was passed 21st Geo. II., the preamble of which is given by Mr. Graves.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1707 ; " many intervening years without entries."

Charities:
Christopher Prissick's gift. rent charge of 20s. per annum, distributed in small sums to the poor not receiving parish relief.

Payment of 10s. per annum, (origin Unknown,) out of a farm in Faceby, the property of George Harrison, Esq., and formerly belonging to a family named Buntings. The money is distributed by the tenant himself among the township poor.

Anthony Lazenby's charity, by will, dated 24th September 1634. rent charge of £3. 6s. per annum ; 52s. part thereof given in bread, and the remaining 14s. are equally divided between the Parson, churchwardens, and parish clerk, for their pains in buying and distributing the bread. -Vide 8th Report, page 748.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 133. Burton's Monasticon, page 360. Graves's Cleveland, page 154.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.