[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WIGGINTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer. and liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles N. of York. Here is a church, peculiar of Alne and Tollerton; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the crown. Pop. 309.
The ecclesiastical jurisdiction of this parish is in the peculiar of Alne and Tollerton; the commissary of which institutes to the living"
"PLAINVILLE FARM, (the seat of Charles Smith, Esq.) in the township and parish of Wigginton; 1½ miles NW. of Wigginton, 5½ miles from York."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Wigginton. (With short history).
- Haxby and Wigginton Methodist Church, Wigginton. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Margaret Clitherow, Wigginton.
- Transcript of the entry for Wigginton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wigginton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wigginton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE597585 (Lat/Lon: 54.019061, -1.090328), Wigginton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: