WIGGINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WIGGINTON, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4½ miles N. of York. The village is situated in the peculiar of Alme and Tollerton, a jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York. The manor belongs to H. Baines, Esq. The soil is a strong clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £300, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. There is a National school. The charities produce about £22 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013