The Ancient Parish of WILTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WILTON, a parish in the wapentake & liberty of Langbargh 3 miles NW. of Guisborough. At the western extremity of this village, formerly stood the ruins of Wilton Castle, the baronial seat of the Bulmers, an ancient family of great reputation and large possesions in Yorkshire, and the county of Durham, in which family this estate continued for many generations. till Sir John Bulmer, Knight, the last possessor, (of that family) engaging in" The Pilgrimage of Grace." was attainted for high treason; when this, and his other estates were forfeited to the crown. The castle has been re-built according to its ancient order of architecture, by the Hon. John Lowther, M. P. the lord of the manor, by whom it is now occupied. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert; is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the lord of the manor, and the Rev. Thomas, Saul, is the incumbent. Pop. 405."
"LACKENBY, a hamlet in the parish of Wilton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¼ miles WSW. of Wilton, 4½ miles NW. of Guisborough."
"LAZENBY, a hamlet in the parish of Wilton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile WNW. of Wilton, 5 miles NW. of Guisborough."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Wilton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wilton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wilton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ584197 (Lat/Lon: 54.56916, -1.098233), Wilton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: