Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WILTON. Church dedication: ST. CUTHBERT. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, vide Kirkleatham. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 411, vide Kirkleatham ; Church-room, 160; Net value, £136. -This was anciently a Chapel in the parish of Kirkleatham, which was given to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was appropriated.
Patron, Sir John Lowther, Bart. Impropriator, Lady Turner.
Mr. Graves gives a close catalogue of the Curates.
Valued in 1707, at £19. 9s. 6d. per annum.
Augmented in 1755, with £200; and in 1797, with £200 -both by lot.
" Mr. Turner, the impropriator, hath the tithe of corn, wool, and lamb. The rest of the small tithes belong to the Chapel. Yearly value under £20." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 663.
The Chapel of St. Ellen stood near the centre of the village, and, was founded by Sir William Bulmer, 23rd Hen. VIII., for two priests to say mass for the souls of him and his wife. The remains are still to be seen near the centre of the village.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Bulmers, Lords of Wilton, the last of whom, Sir John Bulmer, engaged in the pilgrimage of Grace, and was attainted for high treason, 28th Hen. VIII. The family had large possessions in Yorkshire and Durham.
Inclosure Acts were passed 13th and 43rd Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1719.
Stubbs's rent charge. £1 per annum given among poor widows.
John Jackson's charity, by will, dated 1st August 1805. Dividends on £635. 18s. 8d. three per cent. consols, among the poor of Lackenby, Lazenby, and Wilton, in equal thirds. -Vide 7th Report, page 721.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 149. Graves's Cleveland, page 405. Burton's Monasticon, page 354.
LAZENBY. -(Parish of Wilton.) -Here was a Chantry. -Valor. Eccl. vol. iii. page 91.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.