[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WYKEHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 7 miles SW. of Scarborough. situated on the high road from Malton to York. - The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael and St. Mary, is a neat and commodious structure, having been repaired and embellished by the liberality of the late Richard Langley, Esq. the living is A curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Hutchins, and the Rev. John Caley, is the incumbent. At this place was formerly a priory, of which some venerable Gothic ruins remain. It was founded by Pagan Fits Osbert de Wykeham, about the year 1153, for nuns of the Cistercian order. The mansionhouse, which is near the ruins of the abbey, and a little to the westward of the village, is an elegant modern building, and the plantations are judiciously dispersed. Pop. 582."
"RUSTON, (or Rushton) a hamlet in the parish of Wykeham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; ¼ mile W. of Wykeham, 7½ miles SW. of Scarborough."
"WYKEHAM ABBEY, (the seat of the Hon. Mrs Langley) in the parish of Wykeham.
Here Pain Fitz-osbert de Wickham, about the year 1153, built and endowed a priory of Cistercian Nuns, to the honour of the Virgin Mary and St. Helen. At the dissolution there were in it nine religious. Valued at 26L. 17s. 6d. per annum. --Dugdale --Speed. Nothing remains of this venerable Gothic structure except part of its north-end wall and its chapel. --Hinderwell. Near to Wykeham is a fine large sheet of water, containing abundance of fish, over which is an iron bridge, erected by Richard Langley, Esq. in 1802."
"WYKEHAM GRANGE, a farm house in the township and parish of Wykeham; 1¾ miles NNW. of Wykeham, 8 miles from Scarborough, 11 from Pickering."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Wykeham - view 1.
- All Saints' Church, Wykeham - view 2.
- All Saints' Church, Wykeham.
- All Saints' Church and Bell Tower, Wykeham (it's obviously better to look at trees rather than the Church).
- All Saints' Bell tower, Wykeham.
- The Methodist Church, Rushton.
- St. Peter's Church, Langdale End.
- The Wesleyan Methodist Church, Langdale End.
- Transcript of the entry for Wykeham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wykeham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE964832 (Lat/Lon: 54.235438, -0.52249), Wykeham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque at the Church gate, Wykeham.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: