WYKEHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WYKEHAM, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.S.W. from Scarborough, containing 582 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, and in the patronage of the Hon. M. Langley. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was repaired and beautified at the expense of the late Richard Langley, Esq. A priory of Cistercian nuns, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here, about 1153, by Pain Fitz-Osbert, which at the dissolution had a revenue of £25. 17. 6. There are still some remains of the abbey church."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]