WYKEHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WYKEHAM, a parish in the lythe of Pickering, North Riding county York, 6½ miles S.W. of Scarborough, and 11 from Pickering. The parish includes the township of Longdale End, and the hamlet of Ruston. The soil is a mixture of clay and chalk upon a substratum of limestone rock. Wykeham Abbey, the residence of Viscount Downe, was built out of the remains of a Cistercian nunnery founded about 1153 by Pain Fitz-Osbert, the revenue of which at the Dissolution amounted to £25 17s. 6d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was repaired at the expense of the late R. Langley, Esq., and has a stained E. window. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and Sunday schools. The charities produce about £1 per annum. Viscount Downe is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"LANGDALE END, a township in the parish of Wykeham, North Riding of the county York, 10 miles E. of Pickering."
"RUSTON, a village in the parish of Wykeham, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Scarborough."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013