York Saint Michael Le Belfrey
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK SAINT MICHAEL LE BELFREY, a parish in the Ainsty containing places in the North Riding."
"CLIFTON, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St Peter; adjoins the north side of York; ¾ mile from St. Olave, 1 mile NW. of York, situated on the road to Easingwold. Pop. 469."
"RAWCLIFFE, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles NNW. of York Saint Olave. Population, 57."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of St. Michael Le Belfrey, York.
- St. Luke's Church, Clifton.
- The Church of St. Philip and St. James, Clifton (view 1).
- The Church of St. Philip and St. James, Clifton (view 2).
- The Methodist Church, Clifton (view 1).
- The Methodist Church, Clifton (view 2).
- The former Clifton Hospital Chapel, Clifton, now offices.
- St. Thomas' Church, Clifton.
- The Wesleyan Chapel, Clifton.
- St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Clifton.
- St. Mark's Church, Rawcliffe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York Saint Michael Le Belfrey to another place.
- In 1872, Clifton was constituted a distinct parish embracing the townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe. See Clifton Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE603521 (Lat/Lon: 53.961478, -1.082437), York Saint Michael Le Belfrey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: