York Saint Olave
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK SAINT OLAVE, a parish in the Ainsty containing places in the North Riding."
"CLIFTON, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St Peter; adjoins the north side of York; ¾ mile from St. Olave, 1 mile NW. of York, situated on the road to Easingwold. Pop. 469." - -(See York Saint Michael le Belfrey for directory)
"RAWCLIFFE, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles NNW. of York Saint Olave. Population, 57."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York Saint Olave to another place.
- In 1872, Clifton was constituted a distinct parish embracing the townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe. See Clifton Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE598521 (Lat/Lon: 53.961536, -1.090056), York Saint Olave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: