York Saint Olave
The Ancient Parish of YORK SAINT OLAVE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK SAINT OLAVE, a parish in the Ainsty containing places in the North Riding."
"CLIFTON, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St Peter; adjoins the north side of York; ¾ mile from St. Olave, 1 mile NW. of York, situated on the road to Easingwold. Pop. 469."
"RAWCLIFFE, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles NNW. of York Saint Olave. Population, 57."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York Saint Olave to another place.
- In 1872, Clifton was constituted a distinct parish embracing the townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe. See Clifton Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE598521 (Lat/Lon: 53.961536, -1.090056), York Saint Olave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: