"ACKWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.W. from Pontefract,containing 1575 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £22. 1. 0., and in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a small neat building, exhibiting various portions of ancient architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Here was a school, originally an appendage to the Foundling Hospital. In 1777, the premises, with eighty-five acres of land, were purchased by the Society of Friends, and converted into a school for the education of youth in their own religious principles. Here is also a school, endowed with £20 a year, for the education of twenty children, besides an hospital for six women."