ACKWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ACKWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.W. of Pontefract. It is in a healthy situation, and is near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It contains High Ackworth and Low Ackworth. A school was established here in 1758, in connection with the Foundling Hospital. In 1777, the Society of Friends purchased the premises with eighty-five acres of land, and founded a school for the education of youth in their own religious principles. There is a free school for the education of twenty children, and a hospital founded by Lowther, for six women. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £403, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of Llandaff. The church is small and ancient, and is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. There are several seats: Ackworth Park, Ackworth Grange, Ackworth House, and Ackworth Moor Top."
"MOOR TOP, a hamlet in the parish of Ackworth, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Pontefract."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013