Area, 2,270 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U. D. -Population, 1,660 *1; Church-room, 506 ; Net value, £403. -The town of Ackworth was parcel of the ancient inheritance of the Lacies, Constables of Chester and Earls of Lincoln, and from them came to the Dukes of Lancaster. Hugh de la Val gave the Advowson to the Church of Nostell, but the grant does not appear to have been confirmed by the Lacies on their restoration.
In temp. Henry VIII. the Church was given by the King in exchange with the Archbishop of York, yet for all that, says Torre, the King presented thereto, and not the Archbishop.
Archbishop Sharp says the Archbishop collated twice in Queen Elizabeth's time, but the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster is the present patron.
Valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, at £22. 1s. per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 388, at £116 per annum.
A Chantry was founded in this Church at the altar of St. Mary.
24th January 1758, a faculty was granted to rebuild and enlarge the Church, and to dispose of the seats therein.
29th July 1779, faculty granted to build a gallery.
21st October 1822, additional burial-ground consecrated.
Mr. Boothroyd (page 140) is of opinion that the northern rebels, in the 4th Henry VII., 1488, under John a Chainbre, were defeated here by the Earl of Surrey. -See, however, Hunter's Hallamshire, page 48.
Inclosure Act passed in the 12th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence. Torre gives a list of the Rectors.
" There is a parcel of land, called Rydings, containing about seventy-one acres (computed), one moiety thereof now in the possession of Mary Willson, which, in lieu of all and all manner of tithes, pays yearly, at Easter, 6s. 8d." Signed, " Richard Hollins, Rect." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 576.
The Register Books commence in 1558. Some chasms.
The School belonging to the Quakers was originally an appendage to the Foundling Hospital in London ; but in 1777, the premises were purchased by the Society of Friends.
Lowther's Hospital, for six poor women of the parishes of Ackworth, Badsworth, and Featherstone, not less than forty years of age (widows or maids), and of the communion of the Church of England, and School for the education of twenty poor children of the parish, was founded by Mary Lowther, spinster, by deed, 30th November 1741. Governors, the Rectors of Ackworth and Badsworth, and Vicar of Featherstone. The poor women each receive £10 per annum. Schoolmaster's salary, £10 per annum, and a house. Surviving trustee, Sir John Ramsden, Bart.
Mrs. Surtees, by will, dated 26th June 1801, left £100, the interest to be paid to a woman above thirty and under sixty years of age, for lighting the fires in the women's rooms in the Hospital, and washing and waiting upon them when sick.
Poor's Estate. £12 per annum in Doles, being a reserved rent for Major Goldsworthy's house, &c. On the 18th February 1863, the lease will expire, when the charity will become of considerable value.
Ann Calverley's dole, by will, 5th September 1699. 10s. per annum.
Matthew Lamb's dole, by will, 1680. 10s. per annum.
John Rishworth's dole, by deed, 22nd October 1660. £1 per annum.
Dr. Bradley's cottages, built in 1666, for two ancient widows, and two other persons to assist them. The Commissioners suggest that the occupants should not be persons maintained by the parish.
Manor Trust, created, by deed, in 1628, for the repairs of the highways and relief of the poor. -Vide 15th Report, page 640.
Post town: Pontefract.
Nonae Roll, page 225. Torre's MS., page 787. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 160. Burton's Mon., page 304. Bigland's Yorkshire, page 898.
*1 There are two villages, High and Low Ackworth.