[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ADDINGHAM, a parish-town, in the east division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 6 miles from Skipton, 7 from Keighley, 9 from Otley, 37 from York. Pop. 1570. The Church (see Churches for photograph) is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£9. 7s. 8½d. p.r. !£122. 18s. 10d. Patroness, Mrs. Mary Cuncliffe.
The Church, one of the neatest in Craven, with the antique parsonage house, stands at an agreeable distance from the village, on a lingula of land, between the Wharfe and the deep channel of a brook, which unites with it immediately beneath. --Whitaker's Craven."
"BEAMSLEY, (Great and Little), in the parishes of Addingham and Skipton, upper division of Claro; (Beamsley Hall, the residence of Robinson Chippendale, Esq.) 6 miles from Skipton, 8½ from Otley, 17 from Knaresborough. Pop. in Addingham 80, in Skipton, 232, total, 312." (There is further information for Beamsley).
"DEERSTONES, 4 farm-houses in the township of Beamsley, and parishes of Addingham and Skipton; 7 miles from Skipton."
"FARFIELD HALL, (the seat of Wm. Cunliffe, Esq.) in the township and parish of Addingham; 5 miles from Skipton, 7 from Keighley."
"GILDERSBER, a single house in the parish of Addingham, wapentake and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles SE. of Skipton."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Addingham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and photographs of Addingham.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Addingham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE075497 (Lat/Lon: 53.943356, -1.887228), Addingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE077478) Addingham Moorside
- (SE075499) Brumfitt Hill
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.