Addingham, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ADDINGHAM, in the parish of its name, comprising the township of Addingham and part of the township of Beamsley, the former being in the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, the latter in the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.E. of Skipton. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and is near the Midland railway. The inhabitants are chiefly occupied in the manufacture of cotton, worsted, and woollen goods. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £360, in the patronage of Mrs. M. Cunliffe. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. It is ancient, and stands in a pleasant spot, on rising ground, near the Wharfe. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and in the vicinity is one belonging to the Society of Friends. There are vestiges of a Roman camp."
"BEAMSLEY, a township in the parishes of Skipton and Addingham, wapentake of Claro, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the E. of Skipton. In this township is a hospital, founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by Margaret, Countess of Cumberland, for the maintenance of 13 poor women. There is a chapel in the hospital. The present revenue amounts to £375 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013