ALL SAINTS. -Area, 4,580 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, L.D. -Population, 478 *1; Church-room, 300 *2; Net value, £280. -At the time of Domesday Survey, there was here a Church and a priest, and one mill of 10s. Coppice-wood, one mile long and one quarenten broad. The whole manor two miles long and one broad. Value in King Edward's time, £4, then 30s.
An ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Dayville and Lovetots, till given to the Abbey of Selby, to which it was appropriated by Pope Clement V. and a vicarage ordained therein, 3 Id. September, A.D. 1307 *3. At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown.
Catherine Hall, Cambridge, has the impropriation.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at the sum of £153. 6s. 8d. per annum ; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £9. 12s. 10d. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 377, it is stated, " Vicarage, £60. The town of Elstoft, in Yorkshire, to be added to the parish or chapelry of Eltoft, in Lincolnshire."
Torre gives a list of the Vicars.
Easter Term, 42nd Elizabeth, decree as to tithes at Haldenby Park, unreported.
To this Church anciently the towns of Ousefleet, Whitgift, Eastoft, Redness, Swinefleet, Falquerby, and Haldenby, all in the parish of Snaith, did use to repair for Divine Service.
All the Church was pulled down in 1260 or thereabouts, by John de Franceys, the Rector.
Inclosure Act passed 7th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
30th March 1792, faculty granted to rebuild the Chancel.
9th August 1827, faculty to new roof the Church, and cover it with slate instead of lead, and to re-pew the Church.
The Register books commence in 1693.
Mr. Skerne's charity. Rent-charge of £1. 12s. 6d. to poor widows at Adlingfleet ; £1. 4s. to those at Fockerby ; and 6s. 8d. to those at Haldenby cum Eastoft.
Mr. Robinson's charity. Rent-charge of £2 per annum.
R. Skerne's anniversary sermon, on 5th November 1661, by will. 20s.
Two other sermons. 10s. 6d. each. Thomas Batman's gift. 3s. 4d. per annum, to Eastoft poor. Lost.
Fockerby Free School. The schoolmaster is appointed by the master and fellows of Catherine Hall, Cambridge. Little seems to be known respecting the foundation. The Commissioners appear to consider the school to have been neglected. Persons educated therein are to have a preference to certain scholarships and fellowships at Catherine Hall. All the children of the township of Fockerby, and two from Adlingfleet, are entitled to free admission. Income-rent of about 27 acres of land and two pasture gates.
Mrs. Ramsden's gift. Interest of £60 to poor cottagers at Fockerby.
Ramsden's charity. Mrs. Mary Ramsden, by will, dated 3rd November 1743, gave £200 to be employed for the benefit of poor boys and girls in Fockerby, Norton, Linton, and Adlingfleet, in putting out the boys apprentices, and in teaching the girls to sew and read. In 1767, pursuant to an order in Chancery, the principal and accumulations were invested in the purchase of £471. 13s. 1d. three per cent. consols, in the name of three trustees, of whom the survivor was James Stovin, of Doncaster, gentleman, whose will was proved at York, 19th November 1789, and in Canterbury 23rd January 1794 ; and the stock was transferred into the names of his executors, the survivor of whom was Joseph Morris, of Bawtry Street House, in the county of Nottingham. There appears no evidence of the dividends having ever been applied to the charitable uses directed by Mrs. Ramsden's will ; and in 1801, the whole of the stock was sold out, and the produce divided amongst the seven younger children of Mrs. Stoven, who are all particularized in the Report of the Commissioners. The Commissioners express an opinion that if the funds are capable of being recovered, it can only be through the assistance of a Court of Equity. -Vide 18th Report, page 593.
Post town: Howden.
Bawdwen's Domesday Book, page 189. Nonae Roll, page 226. Torre's MS. page 639. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 152. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxv. page 1067, and vol. lxxxii. page 503. Mon. Ang. vol. iii. page 485.
*1 Viz. Adlingfleet, 218 ; Fockerby, 103; Haldenby and Eastoft, 157. In 1834, the Population was stated to be 472.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was stated at 400.
*3 The substance of the endowment is given by Burton, in page 389.
HALDENBY. -(Parish of Adlingfleet.) -Here was a Chantry, which was valued, at the Dissolution, at £5 per annum.