Adwick Le Street
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ADWICK LE STREET, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles NW. of Doncaster, 6 from Rotherham, 10 from Pontefract, 13 from Barnsley, 32 from York. Pop. 346. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Laurence, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £4. 13s. 4d. Patron, J. Kellerton, Esq."
"RED HOUSE, a public house in the township and parish of Adwick le Street; 5 miles NW. of Doncaster, 10 from Pontefract."
"WOODLANDS, (the seat of Mrs. Waterton) in the township and parish of Adwick le Street, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3½ miles from Doncaster, 11½ from Pontefract."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Adwick le Street in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Adwick le Street.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Adwick Le Street to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE534079 (Lat/Lon: 53.565004, -1.195219), Adwick Le Street which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.