"ADWICK LE STREET, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Adwick le Street and Hamphall with Stubbs, and containing 486 inhabitants, of which number, 346 are in the township of Adwick le Street, 4 miles N.N.W. from Doncaster. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4,, and in the patronage of J. Fullerton, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The adjunct to the name of this place is derived from its situation on a Roman road. Here is a free school, with an endowment of £10 per annum, bequeathed by the Rev. William Hedges, a late incumbent, for the education of children. A pure spring in this parish is in great repute for healing sore eyes."
"HAMPHALL, a township, joint with Stubbs, in the parish of ADWICK-le-STREET, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Doncaster, containing 140 inhabitants. A priory of Cistercian nuns, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here about 1170, by William de Clairfai and Avicia de Tarry, his wife, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £85. 6. 11."
"STUBBS, a township, joint with Hamphall, in the parish of ADWICK-le-STREET, northern division of thfe wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Doncaster. The population is returned with Hamphall."