"ALDBOROUGH, or Oldborough, a village in the parish of its name, two miles east from Boroughbridge, on the river Wharf. The parish is partly in the upper division of Claro wapentake, and partly in its lower division. This village has declined in consequence, since the removal of the bridge to Boroughbridge; which took place about the time of the conquest. This small place is, however, honoured by possessing the elective franchise, and sends two members to parliament, which privilege was granted in the last year of the reign of Queen Mary, and is vested not only in the select number of burgesses holding by burgage tenure, but also in the inhabitants paying scot and lot, who amount to about sixty voters: the present representatives are Sir A. Grant, Bart. & C.J.F. Clinton, Esq. The parish church is situated here; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the church of York, and the present incumbent is the Rev. George Kelly. The population of the whole parish of Aldborough, in 1821, was 1,344, of which number 484 were inhabitants of Boroughbridge."
"BOROUGHBRIDGE, so called from its being an ancient borough town, and having a bridge over the river; it is in the parish of Aldborough and wapentake of Claro, in the west riding, 202 miles from London, 66 from Manchester, 15 from York, and 7 from Knaresborough. It is a place of no importance as to trade or manufactures, and contains little to compensate the traveller (except he be an antiquary) for visiting it; the chief consequence it possesses is derived from its thoroughfare situation, being on the great north road, and to the returning members to parliament; which privilege was granted in the first year of the reign of Mary; the right of election is in the burgage holders paying scot & lot, in number about seventy; the bailiff is the returning officer; and the present members are Colonel Henry Dawkins and George Mundy, Esq. Here is a chapel of ease to Aldborough, and one belonging to the Methodists; and an excellent national school, for the children of the parish, with one for infants annexed. This parish abounds with antiquities; the remains of a Roman wall, four yards in width, tesselated pavements, &c. are to be seen; and there are constantly dug up coins, lamps, vases, &c. of Roman origin."
Note: The directory entry for Boroughbridge in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Aldborough.