ALDBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"ALDBOROUGH, or Oldborough, now but a village, in the parish of its name, is one mile east from Boroughbridge, situated on the river Ure ; the parish being partly in the upper division of Claro wapentake, and partly in its lower division. This village has declined in consequence, since the removal of the bridge to Boroughbridge, which took place about the time of the conquest ; and in later times a further diminution of its importance occurred, by being placed in the same schedule of the Reform Bill as its neighbour Boroughbridge. Before the alteration in the representation, it returned two members to parliament, having done so since the reign of Philip and Mary, in 1558. The parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew ; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the dean and chapter of York : the present incumbent is the Rev. George Holdsworth. The population of the whole parish of Aldborough, in 1821 was 2,129, and in 1831, 2,447, of which last number 620 were returned for the township."
"BOROUGHBRIDGE, so called, from its having been an ancient borough town, and with a bridge over the river Ure, is in the parish of Aldborough and wapentake of Claro, in the West Riding, 202 miles from London, 66 n.n.e. from Manchester, 17 n.w. from York, and 7 n. from Knaresborough. The chief consequence it possesses is derived from its thorough fare situation, being on the great north road. Its principal trade is in the shipment of corn to Leeds, Wakefield, and other parts of the West Riding, and it enjoys a communication by water, to the places before named, as also to Hull and London. Previous to passing the Reform Bill, Boroughbridge returned two members to parliament, which privilege it had enjoyed since the first year of the reign of Mary. Under the new bill, it was placed in schedule A, and thereby deprived of its political consequence. Here is a chapel of ease to Aldborough, and one belonging to the methodists ; also an excellent national school, for the children of the parish, with one for infants annexed. This parish abounds with antiquities; among which are the remains of a Roman wall, four yards in width, tesselated pavements, &c. ; and there have been frequently dug up coins, vases, &c. of Roman origin. A market is held on Saturday, for corn, &c. ; and three fairs annually, viz. on the 27th and 28th of April, and 23rd and 24th of October, for cattle, and the 22nd & 23rd of June, for cattle, horses, and hardware. The borough and township contained in 1821, 860 inhabitants, and in 1831, 950."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]