Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ALDBOROUGH. Church dedication: ST. ANDREW. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 8,750 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 2,447 *1; Church-room, 750; Net value, £368. -This Church was appropriated to the Dean and Chapter of York, and a Vicarage ordained, and the Dean and Chapter have still the patronage.
Valued in the King's Books, at £9. 19s. 11¼d.
The town is built on the site of ancient Isurium Brigantium. Mr. Torre gives a minute description of the monuments in the Church.
Here was a Chantry, founded at the altar of the Virgin Mary, by Ric. de Aldburgh and two others.
Glebe house fit.
The Register Books commence in 1538.
Smithson's, Mark's, and Thompson's rents-charge. 15s. per annum to Aldborough, 11s. 8d. to Roecliffe, and 11s. 8d. to Minskip.
Sutton's rent charge, 6s. per annum ; Scruton's ditto, 10s. per annum ; Dove's ditto, 10s. per annum ; Simpson's ditto, 20s. per annum. All to the poor.
Thompson's gift, £1 per annum for the Minister, and £2 for the poor.
Mark Smithson's charity, by will, 1787. Dividends on £3,333. 6s. 8d. three per cent. consols ; £10 per annum is paid to the ringers for a peal on Thursday evenings and Sundays, £13 per annum for bread for the poor who attend Church, £10 per annum given in butcher's meat at Christmas, £7. 10s. per annum given among the poor at 5s. each, and the residue is expended in clothing ten ancient women, and in the purchase of coals, and repairing the cottages of the poor. The trustees are the Vicar and two churchwardens.
Catton's gift, 4s. per annum.
Heselton's rent charge, 10s. per annum.
Hutton's gift. rent charge of 15s. per annum, and the interest of £5. -Vide 3rd Report, page 458.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 919. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. pages 113. 167, recommended to be made a separate parish. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Aldeburne), page 95. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxi. page 312.
*1 Viz. Aldborough, 620; Boroughbridge, 950; Humberton with Milby, 49; Minskip, 267; Roecliffe, 265; Low Dunsforth, 133; Upper Dunsforth with Branton Green, 163. Returned in 1834 at 1,032, excluding the Chapelries.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.