The Ancient Parish of ALLERTON MAULEVERER
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ALLERTON MAULEVERER, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; (the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Stourton) 4½ miles E. of Knaresborough, 5 from Wetherby, 7 from Boroughbridge, 13½ from York. Pop. including Hopperton, 276, which being united, form a township. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Martin, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, p.r. ~£28. Patron, Lord Stourton." (There is further information for Allerton Mauleverer).
"HOPPERTON, in the township of Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton, and parish of Allerton Mauleverer, upper-division of Claro; 5 miles N. of Wetherby, 6 from Knaresborough. Pop. included in Allerton Mauleverer."
"NORTH THORNBOROUGH, a farm-house in the township and parish of Allerton Mauleverer; 5 miles S. of Knaresborough."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- St. Martin's Church, Allerton Mauleverer:
- "This ancient church is maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund, St. Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe, Queen Victoria St., London, with monies provided by Parliament, by the Church of England, and by the gifts of the public. Though no longer required for regular worship, it remains consecrated to the service of God. Please respect it accordingly."
- Here are photographs of St. Martin's Church, Allerton Mauleverer:
- Transcript of the entry for Allerton Mauleverer in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Allerton Mauleverer.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Allerton Mauleverer to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE416580 (Lat/Lon: 54.01634, -1.366622), Allerton Mauleverer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.