ALLERTON MAULEVERER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"ALLERTON MAULEVERER, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Knaresborough, comprising the townships of Allerton-Mauleverer with Hopperton, and Clareton, and containing 290 inhabitants, of which number, 276 are in the township of Allerton-Mauleverer with Hopperton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of Lord Stourton. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. This place obtained its distinguishing name from a family, one of whom, Richard Mauleverer, in the reign of Henry II., founded here an Alien priory of Benedictine monks, the revenue of which was given by Henry VI. to King's College, Cambridge."
"CLARETON, a township in the parish of ALLERTON- MAULEVERER, upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Knaresborough, containing 14 inhabitants. Claro hill, which gives name to the wapentake, is in this township; it is supposed to have been the place on which the Wittenagemote, or public meetings of the district, were anciently held."
"HOPPERTON, a township, joint with, and in the parish of ALLERTON-MAULEVERER, upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Wetherby. The population is returned with the township of Allerton-Mauleverer."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]