Allerton Mauleverer, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ALLERTON MAULEVERER, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Knaresborough. It contains the township of Clareton, and is situate on a branch of the river Nidd. It is a station on the York and Harrogate branch of the North Eastern railway. Its name is taken from an ancient proprietor, Richard Mauleverer, who founded here, in the reign of Henry II., a priory of the Benedictine order, as a cell to the abbey of Marmoustier, in France. On the abolition of alien priories, its revenue was given by Henry VI. to King's College, Cambridge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £65, in the patronage of Lord Stourton. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. Allerton Mauleverer House, near Clare Hill, is the seat of Lord Stourton."
"CLARETON, a township in the parish of Allerton Mauleverer, in the upper division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles E. of Knaresborough. It is situated under Clare Hill."
"HOPPERTON, a township in the parish of Allerton Mauleverer, upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Allerton Mauleverer, and 5 miles E. of Knaresborough."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013