ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"ALMONDBURY, a parish-town, in Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract."
"HONLEY, a manufacturing village, in the parish of Almondbury and wapentake of Agbrigg, is about 3 miles S. of Huddersfield, containing a chapel of ease under Almondbury (of which the Rev. Richard Smith is curate) and a chapel belonging to the Methodists. Fancy and other woollen goods are made here to a great extent, and there are in the vicinity excellent stone quarries. The lord of the manor is Lord Dartmouth. The population of the village, in 1821, was 3,501."
Note: The directory entry for Honley in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Lockwood, (in this parish).
"LOCKWOOD, a village, in the parish of Almondbury, and wapentake of Agbrigg, is about a mile and a half distant front the populous and flourishing town of Huddersfield; beautifully situated in the valley of Holme, and in the midst of a romantic and finely sheltered country, with excellent roads diverging in every direction. The great attraction of this place is its spaw and baths, of which mention has been made in the account of Huddersfield. For the accommodation of the increasing population a new church is about to he erected, an for the convenience of visitors a new inn is on the eve of being opened; indeed, improvements are rapidly making in this place, which are materially assisted by its prosperous manufactures, being of the same character as those of its extensive neighbour, Huddersfield. The number of inhabitants in the village, In 1821, amounted to 1,881."
"MARSDEN, a chapelry, in the parishes of Almondbury and Huddersfield, is 5 miles from Delph, in Saddleworth, 7 from Huddersfield, 17 from Manchester, and about half a mile from a tunnel, three miles in length, which is entered by the Huddersfield and Manchester canal. The village contains a chapel of ease under Almondbury (of which the Rev. Edward Edwards is the incumbent) and one each for the independent and Wesleyan Methodists, and, by the census of 1821, a population of 2,330 persons."
Note: The directory entry for Marsden in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Saddleworth, in the parish of Rochdale.
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007