LOCKWOOD: Lockwood Baptist Church History up to 1912.
LOCKWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH
Lockwood, a hundred years ago, was a small village separated by a mile of green fields from Huddersfield, of which it now forms a suburb. In 1790, Benjamin Ingham, a member of Salendine Nook, opened his barn for worship and afterwards built a chapel at his own expense. This was opened on Christmas Day, 1792, and the property conveyed to trustees for the Baptist Denomination. The Church was formed on January 1st, 1795, of thirteen members. Mr. Wm. Hartley was invited to be its first pastor (1795-1804). His faithful ministry was attended with many difficulties, through the inroads of death, and divisions among his flock :—" The members few and scattered, our prospects were dark indeed."
He was succeeded by Rev. James Aston (1805-30). A period of prosperity followed, discord gave place to unity, and in six years 120 were added to the fellowship. But the times were difficult; the effects of wars, bad trade, dear food, and heavy taxes were heavily felt at Lockwood, where many were brought to the brink of starvation. In 1817 a baptistry was provided in the chapel yard, previous baptisms having been administered in the river. In 1821 a school was built, but was removed on the rebuilding of the chapel in 1849. Mr. Aston died in 1830, at the age of 74. His removal was followed by trouble in the Church, for in 1832, a secession of members—by a doctrinal dispute—built another chapel—" Rehoboth." The Rev. F. W. Dyer accepted the Church's call in 1832, remaining for eight years.
In the early "forties" the Church experienced a most gracious revival. In 1846, fifteen members were dismissed to form a Church in Huddersfield. The Rev. John Barker, of Horton College, entered the pastorate on January 1st, 1847, commencing a union which lasted for thirty-one years. In 1848, a new school was erected at a cost of £1500, to be enlarged in 1864, at an additional expense of £1100. The chapel was rebuilt in 1851, at an outlay of £1700, Mr. Godfrey Berry contributing a third of the cost.
In 1869 the chapel was again enlarged, and further school improvements made at a cost of £z000. In 1874, the Primrose Hill cause was undertaken. Mr. Barker, having retired in 1878, was succeeded by Mr. J. Porteous, of Rawdon College, who maintained a happy pastorate of ten years. In 1893, Rev. G. Archer settled at Lockwood and he still continues his ministry there. In 1900, a new organ was installed, the old instrument being presented to the daughter Church at Primrose Hill. Among many happy recollections at Lockwood is the fact that she has been able to send five of her young men into the ministry of the Gospel.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley