Hide

MARSDEN: Marsden Yorks Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

MARSDEN, YORKS.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

Of the early history of the congregation here, we possess no authentic information.

The following names of pastors are ascertained-

  • 1798. Rev. SILVANUS SHAW. Mr. S. died May 29, 1824. During his ministry a chapel was erected (1805) capable of containing 320 hearers.
  • 1825. Rev. JAMES BOND, from Clayton West. Mr. Bond died March 25, 1856. Mr. B. was on the Hewley Fund.
  • 1856. Rev. HANLEY PICKERSGILL, from Lightcliffe. Mr. P. left for Wrexham, 1860.
  • 1862. Rev. F. WILSON. Removed to Haslingden, 1862.
  • 1864. Rev. THOMAS W. HOLMES, from the Methodist Free Church, the present minister (in 1868).
In the course of the year 1867 a neat and commodious parsonage house was erected.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.