ARKSEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"ARKSEY, a parish-town, in the township of Bentley with Arksey, lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill."
"BENTLEY, is a village, in the parish of Arksey, in the same wapentake as Doncaster, one mile and a half therefrom. The church is dedicated to All Saints : the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Sir William Bryan Cooke, Bart. In the parish is a free grammar school, founded by Sir George Cooke, with an additional endowment by Sir Bryan Cooke ; and a hospital , for twelve poor inhabitants, endowed with £120. per annum. The parish of Arksey contained, at the last census, 1,144 inhabitants.
Please see Doncaster Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]