ARKSEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"ARKSEY, (given as "ARKSKY") a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 5 m. N. of Doncaster, had formerly a chantry; but is more memorable for the will of Bryan Cooke, Esq; in 1660, whereby he gave 100 l. a year to the vicar, 40 l. a year to a schoolmaster, for instructing the poor children of the parish and 60 l. a year, for building a hos. fcr 12 of the oldest poor, who are to receive 5 l. a year each, besides their dwelling. His brother, Sir Geo. Cooke, Bart, gave also 200 l. and 2 cottages for building a school-house."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]