"ARMTHORPE, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFPORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Doncaster, containing 359 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. 18. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown, The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is a school, to which, in 1689, Ann Holmes bequeathed a rent-charge of £2. 10., for teaching six children and apprenticing poor boys, which endowment has been augmented with land given by Sir George Cooke, Bart."