Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HUBBERHOLME.     Church dedication: SAINT MICHAEL.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 309, vide Arncliffe ; Chapel-room, 300; Net value, £58.

Patron, the Vicar of Arncliffe.

Impropriators, University College, Oxford.

Valued in 1707, at £10. 6s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 195, it is stated : " Haltongill and Hubberholme to be made parishes."

" No tithes. Pension of £8 per annum from University College, Oxford. Augmentation of land (of about 40s. per annum) by one Tennant. Also 6s., left by one Christopher Tennant for an anniversary sermon on new year's day. Curate nominated by the Vicar of Arncliffe." Signed, " Miles Tennant, Vic. de Arncliffe." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 145.

The Curacy was augmented in 1765, with £200; in 1772, with £200; and in 1795, with £200 -all by lot; and in 1811, with £200, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Rev. Thomas Lindley, the incumbent, and of £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; and in 1826, with £200, by lot.

The glebe is unfit for residence, " because there are no out-houses, except a barn. The house itself is sufficiently large." -Vide return in 1818.

The Register Books commence in 1663.

Charities:
TOWNSHIP OF BUCKDEN. -Cattle-gates. Seven beast-gates, or twenty-eight sheep-gates, upon a pasture called Kirkgill. The rents whereof, at the time of the Report, were let for £9, which sum, after payment of 6s. to the Curate for a sermon on new year's day, is distributed among poor persons of the Chapelry.

Thomas Tennant's WC by will, dated 25th November 1734. Interest of £10 to the poor of the township of Buckden in Dale.

Elizabeth Wade's gift, by will. Benefaction of 9s. per annum to the poor of Litton.

Thomas Sparke's gift, in 1731. Rentcharge, 20s. to the poor of Hawkswick. -Vide 15th Report, page 694.

Post town: Settle.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 127. Whitaker's Craven, page 502.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.