The Ancient Parish of ASTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ASTON, a parish-town in the upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seats of Harry Verelst, Esq. and the Rev. William Alderson) 6 miles SSE. of Rotherham, 8½ from Sheffield, 9½ from Worksop, (Notts.) 58 from York. Pop. including Aughton, 556, which being united, form a township. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value £12. 15s. 2½d. Patron, the Duke of Leeds." (There is further information for Aston).
"AUGHTON, in the township of Aston with Aughton, and parish of Aston, Upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles S. of Rotherham, 9½ from Worksop, (Notts.) 18 from Mansfield, (Notts.) Pop. included in Aston."
"HARDWICK, a farm-house in the township of Aston with Aughton, and parish of Aston, 4 miles SE. of Rotherham, 8 from Sheffield."
"NETHERTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Aston with Aughton, and parish of Aston; 6 miles SSE. of Rotherham."
"SWALLOW NEST, in the parish of Aston, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 7 miles ESE. of Sheffield."
"ULLEY, or Brampton Ulley, in the parishes of Treeton and Aston, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield. Pop. 203."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Aston (view 1 - in the rain).
- All Saints' Church, Aston (view 2, still in the rain).
- The former St Martin's Roman Catholic Church, Aston, now demolished.
- Christ Church, Swallownest.
- The Baptist Church, Swallownest, built in 1908.
- Holy Trinity Church, Ulley - why would you want to obscure your church with trees?
- Internal view looking down the nave
- round the back.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Aughton.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Aston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK468853 (Lat/Lon: 53.362509, -1.298216), Aston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.