"ASTON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Rotherham. York is its post town. It is situated at the southern extremity of the county, on the borders of Derbyshire, and includes the old parish of Aughton, which is now united with it, and part of the township of Ulley. The Midland railway passes near the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value of £831, in the patronage of the Duke of Leeds. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It contains monuments of the Darcy family, and one to the Rev. William Mason, the poet, who held the rectory of this parish, and died here in 1797. There is a free school with an income, from several endowments, of £15 a year. There are several other charities. The principal seat is Aston Hall, the residence of Henry Verelst, Esq."
"AUGHTON, an old parish, now united with and in the parish of Aston, in the southern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Sheffield. The North Midland railway runs within a short distance of Aughton. Aughton Hall is the principal residence."
"ULLEY, a township in the parishes of Treeton and Aston, S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Rotherham, and 3 N.E. of Woodhouse railway station. To the S. is Turnshaw Quarry. The Old Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £50. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There are National schools for both sexes. Sir C. Wood is lord of the manor."