ASTON, a parish-town in the upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seats of Harry Verelst, Esq. and the Rev. William Alderson) 6 miles SSE. of Rotherham, 8½ from Sheffield, 9½ from Worksop, (Notts.) 58 from York. Pop. including Aughton, 556, which being united, form a township. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value £12. 15s. 2½d. Patron, the Duke of Leeds.
Here died in 1797, the Rev. W. Mason, the poet, who had been presented to this living by his patron, the Earl of Holderness, soon after he came into holy orders. In the church is a marble tablet erected to his memory by the Rev. C. Alderson, his successor; and in a summer house in the rectory garden, on the ceiling, is an embossed medallion, containing the profiles of himself and his friend Gray, and on the floor stood two urns and pedastals inscribed to Gray and Mason. This garden and grounds contiguous to the rectory, Mason employed himself during his residence here, in laying out and improving.
Within a few hundred yards of the church, and once surrounded by a park, stood Aston Hall, the ancient residence of the D'Arcys, afterwards Earls of Holderness; which was pulled down upwards of fifty years ago, and the present mansion erected on the ancient site, under the direction of Mr. Carr of York. The late Sir Harry Verelst purchased the estate of the late Duke of Leeds.
In the church are effigies in marble, of John, Lord D'Arcy and Mennil, and his three wives. --Northern star.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]