Area 2,870 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. -Population, 564 *2 ; Church-room, 450 *3; Net value, £831. -A Rectory which anciently belonged to the Arches, Knights, then to the Meltons, and the Dacres, Earls of Holderness.
Patron, the Duke of Leeds.
The Church is small, with a low Chancel.
Mr. Hunter describes the monuments and arms. He also gives a catalogue of the Rectors. Mason the poet was instituted to the Rectory in 1755, and retained it until his death in 1797.
Mr. Hunter mentions a Chapel as having existed at Canonthorpe in 1231, but it is not named in any list of religious houses.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books at £12. 15s. 2d., after deducting 4s. for Synodals and 7s. 6d. for Procurations; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 460, at £95 per annum.
12th April 1753, licence to erect a gallery.
9th November 1765, ditto granted for exchange of glebe lands.
7th April 1781, general confirmation of pews.
Inclosure Acts were passed 6th and 38th Geo. III.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1567. Chasm 1622 to 1664.
Charity estate. Rent of a house, homestead, and 17a. 19r. of land, purchased with sundry benefactions. A schoolmaster is paid £5 per annum for teaching fifteen poor children to read; £6. 10s. per annum given in bread; and £13. 10s. per annum given in money and clothing to poor widows and indigent persons.
Rev. William Mason's gift. £2 in compliance with the will of the testator, who was Rector of Aston, and died in 1797, paid to the master of the school by the Rector, as a compensation for the enjoyment of a piece of ground purchased by Mr. Mason and added to the glebe.
Hon. Mrs. Darcy's gift, in 1705. Interest of £100, to be applied for clothing poor widows, teaching poor children, and providing corn for the poor. This is now lost by the insolvency of an individual to whom it had been advanced at interest. -Vide 18th Report, page 606.
Post town: Rotherham.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 1133. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 253. Bodleian MS., No. 5,078. Nonae Roll, page 222. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 161.
*1 The town was anciently called Aston in Morthing. The township of Ulley, which is partly in Aston parish, is entered as part of Treeton parish in this wapentake.
*2 Aston with Aughton. In 1834, the Population was stated to be 563.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 560.