Hide

BADSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BADSWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Badsworth, Thorp-Audling, and Upton, and containing 728 inhabitants, of which number, 200 are in the township of Badsworth, 5 miles S. from Pontefract. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £32. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Earl of Derby. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school is endowed with £5 per annum."


"THORPE AUDLING, a township in the parish of BADSWORTH, upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Pontefract, containing 344 inhabitants."


"UPTON, a township in the parish of BADSWORTH, upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Pontefract, containing 184 inhabitants. There are limewOrks in the neighbourhood."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]