BADSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BADSWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S. of Pontefract, its post town. The townships of Thorp-Audlin and Upton are included in this parish The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value of £596, in the patronage of the Earl of Derby. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial endowments, consisting chiefly of church lands, amount to £47 per annum. The principal mansion is Badsworth Hall. The Badsworth hounds meet here."
"THORP ADDLING, a township in the parish of Badsworth, upper division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding, county York, 1 mile N. of Badsworth, and 4 miles S.E. of Pontefract. The township includes the hamlet of Wentbridge."
"UPTON, a township in the parish of Badsworth, upper division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 5½ miles S.E. of Pontefract, and 1½ mile from Badsworth. Many of the inhabitants of the village are employed in the lime-works."
"WENTBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parishes of Badsworth and Darrington, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Pontefract. It is situated on the river Wente, a tributary of the Don."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013