[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BARDSEY, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Skyrack; 4 miles from Wetherby and Harewood, 4 miles N. from Leeds, 19 from York. Pop. including East Rigton, 336, which being united, form a township. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£4. 1s. 8d. p.r. £150. Patron, Geo. Fox, Esq.
The church of Bardsey affords a fine specimen of the Norman architecture, but not to be compared to Adel, although from the engravings given of both in Loidid et Elmete, we might suppose they were equally perfect. On the north side of the village, and near to the Grange, are large earth works of some ancient castle.
This place was born the celebrated William Congreve, the poet, and whose baptism is thus registered:- "William, the sonne of Mr. William Congreve, of Bardsley Grange, was baptised, February 10th, 1669."
He wrote the "Old Batchelor," the "Double Dealer," "Love for Love," the Mourning Bride, the "Way of the World," and some poems."
"EAST RIGTON, in the township of Rigton with Bardsey, and parish of Bardsey, lower-division of Skyrack; 4 miles from Wetherby, 5 from Harewood, 8 from Leeds. Pop. included in Bardsey."
"WIKE, in the parishes of Harewood and Bardsey, upper-division of Skyrack; 2 miles S. of Harewood, 6½ from Leeds, 8 from Wetherby. Pop. 139."
"WOTHERSOME, 2 houses in the parish of Bardsey, lower-division of Skyrack; 5 miles S. of Wetherby, 5½ from Tadcaster. Pop. 16."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]