BARDSEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"BARDSEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bardsey with Rigton, and Wothersome, and containing 372 inhabitants, of which number, 356 are in the township of Bardsey with Rigton, 4 miles S.S.W. from Wetherby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 1. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of George Lane Fox, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints: near it is a mound, called Castle Hill, the supposed site of a Roman fortress. A school was endowed with about £18 per annum by Lord Bingley, in 1726. Congreve, the poet and dramatist, supposed to have been born in Ireland, was baptized at Bardsey, in-February 1670."
"RIGTON, a township, joint with Bardsey, in the parish of BARDSEY, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.W. from Wetherby. The population is returned with Bardsey."
"WOTHERSOME, a township in the parish of BARDSEY, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRAG&, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Wetherby, containing 16 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]