BARDSEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BARDSEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.E. of Leeds. Wetherby is its post town. It is situated on a small stream, a branch of the river Wharfe, and contains the hamlets of Rigton, Wike, and Wothersom. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of £300, in the patronage of G. L. Fox, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and though small is an interesting and beautiful example of Norman architecture. There is an endowed school founded by Lord Bingley, in 1726, with a revenue of £20, and some other small charities. Bardsey Grange, near the village, was the birthplace of William Congreve, the dramatist (1670). On Castle Hill are extensive earthworks, supposed to be of Roman origin."
"RIGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bardsey, lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Wetherby. It is joined with Bardsey to form a township"
"WIKE, a township partly in the parish of Bardsey, but chiefly in that of Harewood, upper division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Leeds."
"WOTHERSOME, a township in the parish of Bardsey, lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Wetherby."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013