Area, 3,380 acres. Skirack wapentake, L. D *1. -Population, 352 *2; Church-room, 200 *3; Net value £270. -This Church was appropriated to the Chapel of St. Mary and the Holy Angels at York, to which it was given by Richard de Moreville, and a Vicarage was ordained therein, 4 Non. Maii. 1258.
The Advowson previous to the appropriation was in the Archbishop of York.
Torre also notices a decree made 12 Kal. Maii. A.D. 1291, relative to the tithe of lands belonging to the Abbey of Kirkstall.
Patron and impropriator, Geo. Lane Fox, Esq. The impropriator is charged with the annual payment of three marks, to be distributed among the poor of the parish.
The value in the King's Books is £4. 1s. 8d. per annum. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 6s. 8d. And in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 341, it is stated at £13 per annum.
The Vicarage was augmented in 1732 with £200 to meet benefaction of tithes, worth upwards of £200, from Lady Elizabeth Hastings, and in 1792 with £200 by lot.
The Church is not mentioned in Domesday Book : the founder is unknown. " The Church," says Dr. Whitaker, " is a beautiful one, with all its constituent parts, side aisles, porch, tower, and choir, all entire." The doctor gives a catalogue of the Vicars, and a view of the porch and interior of the Church.
The Parliamentary Commissioners recommended that East Keswick and half of Wyke should be taken from Harewood and annexed to Bardsey.
7th October 1488, Edmund Malleverer, Esq. made his will, proved 29th January 1493, giving his soul to God Almighty, St. Mary, and All Saints, and his body to be buried on the north side of the choir, between the revestry and the altar of St. Mary the Virgin, and bequeathed for his mortuary his best horse, with " Phedrers" and the entire arms of his body, scil. bas. curasse co-verplate and le salet -Torre's MS. 364.
Torre and Dr. Whitaker give the inscriptions and monuments.
The glebe house was returned, in 1818, as unfit for residence, on account of " its small size, damp, and bad situation," and is still unfit.
The Register Books commence in 1538, but they are deficient in many parts.
Queen Elizabeth's dole, vid. Thorparch. £2 per annum, amongst poor persons at Christmas.
Isabel Lister's dole, by will, about 1700. £2 per annum, to the poor of Bardsey and Rigton.
William Lister's gift, in 1732. Interest of £40: lost.
Widow Proctor's gift. 5s. per annum, rent charge: lost.
Parish School, founded, in 1726, by Lord Bingley, and endowed with 26 acres of land. Charges moderate, but no free scholars. -Vid. 15th Report, page 649.
Post town: Wetherby.
Torre's MS. page 363. Burton's Monasticon, page 290. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 160. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 94.
*1 Wike township is partly in Bardsey parish and partly in Harewood parish, but wholly entered in the latter.
*2 Viz. Bardsey with Rigton, 331; Wothersome, 21. Population returned at 388 in 1834.
*3 In 1818, stated at 400.