[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARNBY DUN, (or Barnby upon Don or Barmby on Don) a parish-town in the upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; liberty of Tickhill; 5½ miles NE. of Doncaster and 5 from Thorne, 7¾ from Bawtry, 35 from York. Pop. 495. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Doncaster, value p.r. £66. Patron, John Gresham, Esq. Bacon styles it a vicarage, value ~£9. 12s. 6d."
"BRAMWITH SAND, (or South Bramwith) in the parishes of Barnby Dun and Hatfield, and wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles SW. of Thorne."
"REEDHOLME, a single house in the township, of Thorpe in Balne, and parish of Barnby Dun; 4½ miles from Doncaster."
"THORPE IN BALNE, in the parish of Barnby Dun, lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 6 miles W. of Thorne; 6½ from Doncaster. Pop. 122."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Barnby Dun in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Barnby Dun.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barnby Dun to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE618094 (Lat/Lon: 53.577565, -1.068113), Barnby Dun which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.