"BARNBY DUN, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barnby upon Don and Thorpe in Balne, and containing 617 inhabitants, of which number, 495 are in the township of Barnby upon Don, 5 miles N.N.E. from Doncaster. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 12. 6., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of J. Gresham, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school for poor children is endowed with £11 per annum from the produce of land belonging to the parish, and £7. 10. bequeathed by John Martin, in 1798. Frances, Countess of Sutherland, in 1731, devised property, producing about £30 per annum, for the relief of four poor women, and for instructing poor children of Bramwith."
"THORPE IN BALNE, a township in the parish of BARNBY DUN, southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles N.N.E. from Doncaster, containing 122 inhabitants. A rent-charge of £5, the gift of James Fretwell, in 1751, and sundry smaller bequests, are applied to the instruction of poor children."