Hide

BARNOLDSWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BARNOLDSWICK, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barnoldwick, Brogden, Coates, and Salterforth, and containing 2350 inhabitants, of which number, 1334 are in the township of Barnoldwick, 9 miles W.S.W. from Skipton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £ 1100 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir J. L. Kaye, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands on the verge of a deep glen, whence it was formerly known by the name of Gill Kirk. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. A Cistercian monastery was founded here in 1147, which was afterwards removed to Kirkstall, owing to some dissension among the monks and the inhabitants."


"BROGDEN, a township in the parish of BARNOLDSWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles W.S.W. from Skipton, containing 233 inhabitants."


"COATES, a township in the parish of BARNOLDSWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles W.S.W. from Skipton, containing 97 inhabitants."


"SALTERFORTH, a township in the parish of BARNOLDSWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.W.W from Skipton, containing 686 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]