Hide

BARNOLDSWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BARNOLDSWICK, (or Gill), a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the S.W. of Skipton. Colne is its post town. It is situated in a mountainous district full of fine scenery, and includes the townships of Admergill, Brogden, Coates, and Salterforth. About the middle of the 12th century a Cistercian abbey was founded here, which was shortly after removed to Kirkstall. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of £162, in the gift of R. Hodson, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is situated on the edge of a fine glen, above a mile from the village. From its position it acquired the name of Gill Church. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels in the village. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes near this place."


"ADMORGILL, a township in the parish of Barnoldswick, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Colne. It is situated on a branch of the river Ribble, and is united with the township of Brogden."


"BROGDEN, a township joined With Admergill, in the parish of Barnoldswick, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the W. of Skipton."


"COATES, a township in the parish of Barnoldswick, in the E. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles S.W. of Skipton."


"SALTERFORTH, a township in the parish of Barnoldswick, E. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 7½ miles S.W. of Skipton. It is situated on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and included the common called Whitemoor, the greater part of which was enclosed in 1815. The village stands on the bank of the canal."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013