Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BARNOLDSWICK. Church dedication: OR GILL. -ST. MARY. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area. 6,040 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. -Population, 2,724 *1; no Return as to Church-room ; Net value, £162.
The Monastery of Saint Mary was founded here in 1147, but removed. in 1152, to Kirkstall. The town was given to the Priory by Henry de Lacy.
Patron, the Rev. M. Barnard.
The land-owners are impropriators.
In the King's books, this is called Gylkyrk, and valued at £4. 13s. 4d. per annum. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 215, it is stated : " No minister. The impropriation is worth £50 per annum. Only £7 per annum for maintenance. We recommend them to the State, certifying thus much on their behalf, that the said parish have always unanimously concurred, to their great loss and damage, in all good ways to promote the public service."
This Curacy was augmented in 1731, with £200; in 1771, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1794, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot ; in 1824, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £100 from Sir J. Lister Kaye, and of £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; and in 1826, with £800 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir John Lister Kaye, Bart., the patron. Previous to the augmentation, it was a Donative.
Dr. Whitaker gives an account of the income of the minister.
The manor of Barnoldswick, in the parish of Gilkirke, in Yorkshire, was formerly parcel of the Duchy of Lancaster, and never belonged to the Abbey of Kirkstall, and therefore not tithe-free. -Mitchell v. Brogden, 1 Wood, page 354.
An Inclosure Act was passed in the 54th Geo. III.
Glebe house unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1587. There are some chasms. Also a register of Anabaptists from 1717 to 1752.
The lord of the manor, which is coextensive with the parish, has, from time immemorial, had the right of granting probates and administrations ; but the steward returned, in 1829, that no court had been held for twenty-three years last past, and he stated that the wills were then in the custody of the representatives of the late John Cockshott, Esq., of Bracewell, near Skipton.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 603. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 144. Whitaker's Craven, page 59. Burton's Monasticon, page 290. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 526.
*1 Viz. Barnoldswick, 1,682; Brogden, 229; Coates, 88 ; and Salterforth, 725. In 1834, the Population was returned at 2,642.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.