SALTERFORTH: Salterforth Baptist Church History up to 1912.
SALTERFORTH BAPTIST CHURCH
The Salterforth cause originated in Sunday school work, in connection with which a building was erected in 1851. Five members were dismissed to form the new Church, in October, 1861, from Barnoldswick. Amongst its first members was Richard Petty, the head of a well-known family, whose brother John afterwards became the President of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, and Principal of one of their Colleges. In 1862, Rev. Isaac Brown became its first pastor, with a salary of £35 and the privilege of conducting a private business of his own. He was blessed with additions to the Church, but resigned in 1867. The premises were extended in 1873, at a cost of £200.
In 1897 Mr. A. T. Greenwood, now pastor of the Central Church, Hull, under-took the work at Salterforth, leaving two years later to enter the Pastor's College. For some time Rev. W. E. Goodman, formerly of Keighley, served the Church in an honorary capacity. Rev. E. Thorpe entered on the pastorate in 1892, and in 1894 the new chapel was opened —a commodious village sanctuary seating 350 worshippers. In this enterprise the Church was assisted by the Loan Fund, and by a grant of £400 from the Twentieth Century Fund. The present pastor, Rev. John Whitaker, commenced his ministry in 1910, and it is interesting to read that as a child he was one of the earliest scholars of its school.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley